View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Aftermarket trunk strut preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
I'd much rather have an inexpensive hood strut that bolts in w/o fiddling. I guess till then my ice scraper also makes an awesome hood prop.
Probably not going to happen, for the same reason these possible trunk struts are also going to require re-using the mounting brackets.

The prototypes I have were custom manufactured at a strut factory to the exact specs of a new OEM pair they had purchased. The length and points where they attached to the mounting brackets are identical.

However, they could not recreate the complete mounting brackets beyond the "swivel point" because they said the cost would be just too prohibitive.

So it would be the same with the hood struts as well.

The advantage with the hood struts is that we have found an off-the-shelf replacement for them that has been field tested for years and proved to be not only less than a 1/3 the price (plus a bit of labor) of OEM, but also a bit superior.

Not to mention as Danny says they don't have a 15+ year shelf life.

With the trunk we don't have this same advantage, but hopefully soon we will have something custom made for us and HOPEFULLY the price will be appealing and worth the effort as well.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...