View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Subframe inquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCookie View Post
Got my baby back today. She is fantastic. A few things that still need to be looked into. I have a power steering leak, so might be the rack, but very slow leak, so I will just keep an eye on it for now. As for the subframe, my mechanic did an excellent job trying to straighten things out as much as he can. Won't be perfect again, but it is safe and no noises anymore. The ONLY issue remaining is going over bumps (small potholes), there is a wobbling of the steering wheel. Almost as if something is loose in the steering. We both looked over everything and all is tight and snug. Any ideas on what the wobbling may be caused by?
The wobbling may be caused by the lower suspension arm and the steering track rod, not being a parallelogram. These two arms have to have the same length, from ball point to pivot, and (in your case) be parallel to each other.

If the steering arm is bent up or down or the rack is not mounted at the right height, you will have a bump steering action, where the different arcs are not equal and when the wheel moves up or down it will try to turn. The gyroscopic effect will prevent the wheel from turning, but the steering wheel will.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.