View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Each manufacture rates their own BUT they must put a rating on it. Hence Bridgestone may say blank tire has a rating of 400 for a 40k tire where Dunlop might rate theirs at 380 for a 50k tire. In other words they don't mean much except for generalization. Of course SVXride's Hoosiers with a 40 rating aren't gonna live as long as a 400 rated tire from anybody. The traction and temp ratings though to my knowledge are universal.
Ben,

I'm wondering if the traction and temp ratings are relative as well??? In the Tirerack test I linked higher-up on this page:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/sp9000_rd.jsp

They compare the new Dunlop SP Sport 9000's to the previous SP Sport 8000's. The new 9000's have a treadwear of 280 and double 'AA' rating for traction - while the 8000's have a treadwear of 200 and a single 'A' rating for traction.

In their testing, the 8000's got better ratings in every handling/braking test they did, with the 9000's only shining in road comfort/noise level...

They also noted about the 8000's: "We have recommended the SP Sport 8000 for drivers who have the need of a dual purpose street and driver's school track tire. While it can't match the lap times of today's DOT-Legal competition tires, it provides a lot of performance and durability."

I find it hard to believe that the SP Sport 8000 would get their recommendation as a good street/track tire, if the single 'A' rating for traction & temp caused the tires to be cooked after a few hot laps on a summer day???

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)