View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 07:16 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Re: Fuel tank "Jet" pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
When I get to about 1\4 of a tank the car will sometimes die coming to a stop and when I go to fill it up it only takes about 10 gallons. If I stay above 1/4 tank I don't have any issues.
There's not a secondary pump - there is another tube assembly with a smaller sock on it and a separate fuel level sending unit that goes into the other side. It's connected to the main pump assembly with a section of rubber fuel line that passes over the middle - maybe that's developed a leak or has a loose clamp? It's easy to check, it's right on top when you pop the tank cap off under the access panel. Look for the hose bent in a U shape that doesn't have any connections to the cap. I can't remember if you can see / inspect the entire thing from the top without removal of the whole assembly.

Looking at my pics of the fuel pump assembly from when I dug into mine over the summer, there's also a yellowish plastic piece mounted directly next to the fuel pump itself that joins the crossover tube and I think the return line. It looks like it possibly uses vacuum to pull fuel from the other side of the tank? You could check that for cracks or damage as well, since (if I'm right) that may cause the same issues, although this will definitely require removal of the fuel pump assembly. It's really not a bad job, although not something you want to do in an enclosed garage.

e: Pulled the pics from my phone.

Hoses under the cap (the crossover one is the bumpy looking one on the left:

Fuel pump assembly. I'd check out the yellow piece on the side of the pump:

Main fuel level sender assembly - the little can contains the sensor that triggers the "low fuel" light:

Secondary level sender assembly and fuel pickup for the side of the tank opposite the pump:

Last edited by Black88GTA; 11-05-2021 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Added pics