View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 11:18 PM

Shaky Idle....Whats going on?

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my 92 Svx, it has 91,000 miles. Get ready this is a long one.........

The car runs decent, and I stress decent, not good, when its cold but as it warms up and the idle settles it starts to idle extremely rough (enough to shake the car violently) and it sounds like it is missing (the car has an exhaust leak and you can hear it missing) also at the muffler tips instead of the normal SVX deep growl i'm hearing a more popping/huffing sound, like its not running on all 6 cylinders.

When you switch on the A/C the idle goes way down (like to 300 rpm) and just fluctuates up and down really rapidly as if someone is inside the car gassing it and letting off and gassing it and letting off over and over again quite quickly. Sometimes it will even stall.

When you rev it up (A/C off) it kinda of stumbles up and even if your holding the throttle steady at say 3 thousand rpm it still idles badly as if someone is gassing it and letting off continuously even though you are holding the pedal steady.

When you rev it up and hold it at the 4-5rpm range its more smooth but when you listen to the leaky exhaust gasket it sounds like a snowmobile, like a 2 stroke engine, with the random popping/missing sound even though the engine sounds smooth the exhaust definetly indicates that the engine is missing.

I have pulled the plugs and checked for spark all there, everything is checking out ok. The CEL is not on, but does work. I have swapped TPS off my good working SVX, replaced the idle air control valve and selenoid, MAF is fine, knock sensor is ok, coolant temp sensor checked out alright. All vacuum lines are intact and in place, Air filter is fine......What could possibly be causing this? Am I overlooking something very simple? When at idle it is shaking hardcore, enough to rattle a can of pop right off of the roof.

Everything is pointing to a spark problem to me but i've checked it all out and the coil packs all have spark and the plugs seem ok.....

I'm at a loss, I really want to get this thing up and running but i'm completely stumped on this....any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance
~Tim