View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Arafat is on his way out

Quote:
Originally posted by Breck SVX

I wonder how this will affect the peace process.
Considering we give more to Isreal every year in military aid than we do humanitarian aide to all of Africa, North Korea and South America combined probably not a whole lot. It is unfortunate that everyone speaks up about a need to end the violence but no one has ever offered a truely good plan that would see it through. Sure there have been good parts to a lot of the plans but even when the Palastinian Authority was set up it was never properly funded. The Palastinians were expected to reign in all the extremist militants out there with a budget of about $6 million a year. Now the Police force in Lancaster, PA where I live in spends about that much money in a year. They can't tax b/c they aren't a gov't. so it is so suprising that it can't stop the suicide bombing. Besides, it isn't like the US went in and started training recruits to become police like we're spending billions to do in Iraq with very uneven success. 90% of all Israelis and Palastinians want to see a solution and end the violence.

IMO this is the first place the US should be spending terrorism war money not to quell the Palastinians but to find a solution. It would seriously hinder Islamic extremests from using the situation and US policy toward it as a key recruiting tool to increase their numbers but the question was NEVER asked or answered of either Bush or Kerry during the election. Maybe that was b/c of the huge reliance on American Jewish money by both parties. Something like 20% in 2000. Gotta love American politics.