View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM

Re: Mid Engine SVX concept.

For Harvey I say sorry that I have continued this thought but hell it keeps me off the streets at night out of the pub.

I have spoken to a engineer about getting approval for the car to be registerted in the the state of NSW (in Australia). He said it can be done but I need to have a "Scope of work" meeting with him first so I can be clear what is involved to get it passed. I won't do this project unless I can drive the car on the road around Australia. I also want it to be a complete car in other words I need to start with a very good condiation SVX one that has never been crashed (I think I have a car in mind).
In addiation as I see it the car would be a standard SVX in all ways internally except it would not have a back seat. As regards the engine I would anticpate it would be a home for the 10k dry sump special Bazza and I are building.

In other words the car would need to be as good as if Subaru built it.

So the big question that I ask myself all the time is why bother to do this project. Well I think the answer is a lot simpler then I am letting myself beleive.
When I was 16 years old I brought books on designing race cars, they were engineering books about frame design etc. As part of that I had always wanted to get a rear engine car ubt at the time couldn't afford it. Today I can afford just about any rear engine car I wanted up to about 1/2million dollars but I don't see one single car that I want. So to say I am frustrated would be a understatment. I am all about the package which means the building as much as the driving, improving and developing, the proving to myself that I can do somthing, the uniqueness of what I will finally acheive.
I love when I drive throught the desert in a sports car and people are shock because it
"I can't do that, no one drives a sports car in the desert",

To say I enjoy P_ _ sing them off would be a understatment,

A rear engine SVX would be brillant,

Its never been doen before____
The SVX body is the toughest Subaru ever made____
Once the engine proformance was increased it would be a pretty fast car____

And finally its not about money its all about enjoying life and doing things different to the rest of the world, creating something unique that other have never done.

Sorry for the rant but I want to put my thought down as to why the project should hit the go button. Feel free to disagree or what ever, I am happy to here alternative opinions.

Have a great day all.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.