View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Mid Engine SVX concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
I think you guys and Harvey are thinking the same. He suddested on the weekend the same idea except turn the back engine around and connect the tail shafts.

Pretty wild.
Tony
Well in my defence.

We were talking of a project to do when Tony retires. The Idea was really only a, 5PM, 3 Coopers, type of thought bubble.

Tony had suggested moving the engine to the rear. I thought, that would leave a big hole in the front, so why not just put another one in the rear.

The Subaru “All for the Four Symmetrical”, logo came through the mist. So the thought of two engines and trans, the rear one turned around so the two transmission rear output shafts connected together. So that the wheels were driven all the time, and the two transfer clutches locked.

OK the rear engine would have to run backwards, but that can be arranged, but in the clear light of the day, the problems of getting a auto box and torque converter that will work the opposite way fouled the project.

Next day, only a 2 Coopers day.
OK we turn then rear engine around the right way, no mechanical connection between them, but enough electronic controls to keep the two engines under control.
Both use an auto trans, with only the front drive fitted. Both boxes are run by the one TCU, using the two speed sensors fitted to the diffs, to look for wheel spin. No transfer clutches, so the TCU uses the two electric throttles to control the torque of the engines.
The rear engine would not need any accessories, as the front can do those duties, to provide a biasing of the torque to the rear.

The result would be a 6.6lt 500Hp Flat 12, dual engine, AWD, SVX.

Huck can’t wait to get started.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 10-03-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: AWD