View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: thinking about this car.... any help?

OK, I have read this thread again and the apology thread and I would like to add a few comments/observations:

Ben and Keith were both overly caustic and just as much as Trevor ever was in the threads I have read. Guys, it isn't about being right and defending your ego or honor. You guys are passionate and knowledgeable. Please consider what you say and how you say it. Your message becomes quickly lost when the discussion turns into a pissing contest. I just bought my SVX and I am not an expert on cars so I need every one of you to stay engaged. I know I am not the only one. This is a great forum and it needs to survive for the sake of many people. Please consider the impact what you say will have on the person you are saying it to. As soon as you call someone an idiot or a crook, no good will come of it.

I bought my car unseen and was worried from day one because I knew it was high risk. Someone mentioned services for getting a condition report. I knew about carfax but not about condition reports. Please provide information on these services as I will definitely use one next time.

In Keith's defense, a dealer or individual can cross the line into providing misleading information. If information is not provided and the buyer does not ask for it, I feel the buyer is responsible and should not sue. But if a dealer provides false or misleading information, then I think a lawsuit is fair game. One doesn't have to be an idiot to be lied to. And I really don't think trusting people makes one an idiot either. It is a shame that people have such low morals and ethics. Yeah, maybe that reality should make us more cautious but living in fear of being hurt or screwed by another person doesn't not exactly lead one down the road to happiness either.

Keith had valuable advice and a solid argument in his personal case. All hell broke loose when he implied that all or most dealers are crooks. Since he bought a car unseen from a dealer, I doubt he really believes that to be the case. But it did sound that way and, of course, dealers will respond defensively. And someone calling him an idiot didn't exactly help to diffuse the situation.