View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 08:32 PM
I look like Gordon

Someone please save me from my own stupidity...

Well, I'm swapping in my "new" aircon compressor this evening. All is going well, until I notice that the other belt is a little loose (they were both changed about 5K miles ago, so I was not surprised). I immediately begin cranking on the tensioner bolt... without stopping to loosen the bolt on the idler pulley... and before I realize what I am doing, the tensioner bolt snaps in two. We're talking one or two swings of the ratchet here, and there is not too much range of motion right there anyway, so I have to believe it was already weakened from a previous idiot like myself not paying attention to what he was doing...

Anyway, I can't find a replacement part number on subaruparts.com. Anyone have any ideas? Is this a fairly standard animal that I will be able to find at my local auto parts store? I'm thinking I may be able to get a reverse thread bolt and nut, spin the bolt up to the proper spot and hit it with a spot weld to keep it from spinning.

Any help here would be appreciated. I am itching to get this thing running to find out if the new compressor did the trick or not...

Thanks
Mike