View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 04:06 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueji View Post
I'm about to do the 90k service myself after been given a silly price for the job by Subaru....there is a kit from a guy in the states for the cam belt, inc water pump, for £139.00 and a few companies offering a transmission kit (filter and gasket) for about £20.00 both of which are not OEM parts. Any comments, should I stick to genuine parts?
John
John, I would see no harm in the cam belt kit and water pump. They should be OK. I have used US non-OEM cambelts no problem.

One note of caution. I once bought a water pump for my '91 Claret off a Subie main dealer here in Dublin. The guy who did the cambelt replacement could not make the waterpump fit, it was a totally different type.
[In fact I gave it back to the company and asked them to get me the correct one, and never collected it since, that's about 6 years ago and the car is now sold on]

Just be careful that the water pump is a match. I would have sworn they must all be the same, but my experience seems to indicate that at the very least the 91/92 Japanese water pump is different from the Euro/UK one. You could be taking a chance.

The transmission kit should also be OK. My brother who works as a Service Mgr in a dealership [Renault] says the OEM air filter is best. He has seen many failures from people fitting supposedly higher hp filters non standard.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl