View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
I think he was just listing thing that he had actually already done. Certainly those you mentioned would improve the experience even more - especially the suspension!

I agree, nice breakdown, and thanks to Joe as well for reinforcing this line of thinking.

I've thought a LOT about the 4.44's but I also love my high speed highway cruising. The car is just so perfect and smooth (and quiet) at 70-80 on the freeway and it's ability to accelerate from that to triple digits faster than just about anything else on the road. Not sure I want to give that up.
Troy, the US stock gearing is 3.54, really a very,very high overdrive. The UK and JDM ones use 3.70, and from my experience of both, they are still too high for the power and torque the engine puts out, plus the weight it has to push along.

My Twin Turbo Legacy had 4.11 final drive, and it was an excellent compromise between low enough bottom gears to get the mass underway, yet high enough top to make cruising pleasant.

Now I also have experience of 4.44s from my brother's Forester Turbo [250hp] This really shifts ass when you hit the pedal to the metal. However, the gearing in top is low, but acceptable.

I reckon if you felt like a change the 4.11 gears will surprise you how hard they pull. However for sheer grunt, the 4.44 wins hands down if you can live with the higher revving when cruising.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl