View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Phil & Belha

There is a fundamental difference between the Econ light and the Power light.

The Power light is controlled by the TCU. The TCU switches on the power light when power mode is engaged. The Power light is not wired to the Power switch at all.

The Econ light is wired to the Econ switch. The TCU cannot switch it on or off. It will be on when the Econ switch is on and off when the switch is off, regardless of what is happening inside the TCU.

My objective, once I figure out how to mod the TCU, will be that with the Econ switch on (and therefore the Econ light) the TCU will operate in Normal mode (power mode will come on when you mash the pedal). With the Econ switch off, the TCU will operate in Power mode (the power light will be on). The current Econ mode functionality will be removed.

Of course I haven't looked at the UK TCU yet, and I am assuming that the function that selects the shift mode is only slightly different to the JDM one.

I wonder why the power mode was removed from the OBD2 cars. If they have the same TCU hardware as our cars, then they only have 16K of ROM. Perhaps Subaru had to cut some features to make room for the OBD2 functions? I guess we'll figure it out in due course.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 12-11-2007 at 06:00 PM.