View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
Yeah, I did this on my ebony...definently made a notable diffrence, ESPECIALLY with a 4.11 and a shift resistor. Must say, it is um...Less dailyable because of the aditional mds...but no, it doesnt shift only at a bazillion rpm.It's actually quite civil, seeing as you dnt have to drive like a hoon to engage power. A change in driving habits will easilly negate any gas mileage loss

Yes, I will try this on my 96 in the near future, but when I do, I'll be finding a way to activate the power AND econ lights
Eric

This would be the correct and elegant way to go about it if you can do so.

The Econ light is on the UK ones as well. When you press that button and the Econ light comes on, what it effectively does in the TCU is deny the use of the Power shift map.

So in Effect, if Econ is lit up, the Power mode is unavailable.

This means that the opposite would apply; If Power was lit up, then Econ would be unavailable too! They are mutually exclusive states of operation.

The logical step is to have one switch. When ON, Power mode is activated. When OFF, you have Econ mode working.

[Econ mode is the Normal shift map with no accesss to Power on kick-down]

Now your problem will be this:I'm not a wiring expert, in fact it gives me nightmares, but SFAIK the Econ switch in the shifter will be of the single pole, single throw type[SPST] To operate two functions you probably need to replace this with a double pole, double throw type of the same size, and run the extra wire to the a4 pin, using the common local ground connection on the transmission tunnel.

Maybe Trevor would have a view on it, he's good on electrics?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl