View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Phil & Belha

Re: Memory dump of ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Phil, et al,

This thread has definitely been interesting reading Any thoughts on the end result of all this hard work? Is it realistic to think that it will be the ability to reprogram (flash) our stock ECU like the WRX/STi folks can?

-Bill
I don't think there is any definite target as such. I think it would be great if we could uncover enough information about how the ECU works that technically skilled owners could have a go at tuning their cars themselves.

It is definitely realistic. We are actually really close to that point right now. We have a well-tested memory adapter design. We know where to find the fuel and timing maps and approximately how they work. All that's really needed is for somebody with tuning skills to fiddle with those maps and log the results and prove that they do work the way we think they do.

So many people have contributed to this thread and I'm amazed at the amount of good stuff has come out of it, directly or indirectly:

* An interface cable for connecting a PC to the car.
* Software that can display and log the ECU and TCU data.
* The locations of the parameters in the ECU and TCU.
* The TCU pin A4 power mode mod for USDM cars.
* The TCU software power mode mod for Euro/Aussie cars.
* A collection of ROM versions from different years and markets.
* A document showing the tuning differences between markets.
* A method for chipping the TCU.
* A daughterboard to adapt the ECU for modern eeproms.
* Decoding the TCU shift and torque converter maps
* Decoding some of the ECU maps
and finally, on a personal note,
* I got a full time job cracking ECUs.

That's just off the top of my head. There's probably a load of other stuff I can remember right now. And it doesn't include stuff outside the SVX world. I regularly get emails from people thanking me for information they've taken from my website and used for their own projects.

I'm particularly pleased that we cracked the TCU. I think we were the first people ever to crack the subaru TCU. In fact I've never heard of any car club cracking a TCU before.

I just wish I had more time to devote to it. I now have a two year old daughter and a 2 month old son, that I didn't have when I started this thread.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II