View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Honestly, I'd listen to your parents. The first time I read 'mom' or 'dad' in a post like this, I immediately think the same thing:

'Not worth it.'

As much as I love my SVX (and I love it dearly), it's not a great first car. I don't know how old you are, but I get the impression that this is your first car or close to it.

I agree with your mechanic and your parents - it's unlikely you're going to be able to afford to take care of the car. I don't agree that oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets or timing covers is a serious issue, but it's something that needs to be taken care of eventually.

Again, I love the SVX, but it's just a car. It's not worth 'sticking to your guns' and fighting with your parents over it. This is an expensive car to own, and the first time a repair bill comes in, they're going to be right. And make no mistake - an expensive repair bill is going to come in.

My advice is to find something cheaper to own. I speak from experience - I don't even drive my SVX more than a couple thousand miles a year because it's expensive to. Not admitting so means you're not taking good care of the car, in my opinion.

That was very well put, and I agree wholeheartedly. This is a unique car with a deceptive price tag. Sure, right now you can buy one for 1500.00 (or 3900 in your case) somewhere, but, with the rear bearings going, a bad front end, and at least a replacement of the main gaskets, you are in for a long very expensive road unless you can do the work yourself.
Have you measured your insurance? Some insurance companies have pretty high rates for teens driving (what my company now calls) an exotic sports car. I know that it's a joy to own and drive (especially drive!!!) but so is a Diablo or Countach… And while not a Porsche or Lamborghini it still may be more of a financial burden than it's worth to you right now.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but if you read some of the old posts on maintenance you might rethink your position with mom and dad.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .