View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 09:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Honestly, I'd listen to your parents. The first time I read 'mom' or 'dad' in a post like this, I immediately think the same thing:

'Not worth it.'

As much as I love my SVX (and I love it dearly), it's not a great first car. I don't know how old you are, but I get the impression that this is your first car or close to it.

I agree with your mechanic and your parents - it's unlikely you're going to be able to afford to take care of the car. I don't agree that oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets or timing covers is a serious issue, but it's something that needs to be taken care of eventually.

Again, I love the SVX, but it's just a car. It's not worth 'sticking to your guns' and fighting with your parents over it. This is an expensive car to own, and the first time a repair bill comes in, they're going to be right. And make no mistake - an expensive repair bill is going to come in.

My advice is to find something cheaper to own. I speak from experience - I don't even drive my SVX more than a couple thousand miles a year because it's expensive to. Not admitting so means you're not taking good care of the car, in my opinion.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE