View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 06:13 PM

other things to look for

As was previously stated, the SVX is a car in which almost every one has the same problems. The transmission is faulty on almost every SVX (especially the 1992 models, like mine) due to high heat output, poor coolant flow, and high overdrive. So when you do get your new transmission (if you still decide to), make sure to get a transmission cooler installed at the same time. You can get one for around $100. Also, if you decide to replace your old transmission with another 4-EAT (like you currently have), see about getting a Shift Kit put on it. You can get one of those for about $50. As for getting a manual tranny put into it, I wouldnt reccomend goign to a nearby Subaru dealer to get that done, as they will probably highly overcharge you. Look around this site for information on that, its in nearly every forum. Some of the other problems almost every SVX has are the wheel bearings fail, the rotors will warp under heavy braking (due to the weight of the car, and the fact that Subaru put in rotors that couldnt take the pressure), and then a few cosmetic things as well, such as the sun visors (which you have already found out the hard way), and some of the interior buttons. Parts for this car are not cheap by any means either. Please take all of these things into consideration before deciding whether or not you want to keep yours or not, because it might end up costing you alot more down the road. When I bought my SVX, I was really only aware of the transmission problems, but my transmission had just been rebuilt. But when other things started to go wrong, I found out the hard way how tough these things can be to maintain (I'm a college student too, and I understand what your going through). Think about all of this before making your descision.

Last edited by dwd1985; 10-02-2005 at 12:10 AM.