View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 06:01 PM
SVXist Pig

Welcome to SVX world (tranny woes, etc.). I'm a new owner and new to this site as well.

Search around here for a while and you'll come up with some really good information. You might consider doing a transmission swap from another Subaru model, such as a mid-90's Legacy L or Outback. I am in the process of getting one from an Outback. Either one will require you to get a new rear differential as well to match the tranny's final drive ratio*, but the whole total will still likely be less than a rebuilt SVX transmission. I'm looking at about $1500 installed for a 1997 Outback tranny with 25k miles and a 2001 Impreza 2.5RS diff with 84k miles.

5 speed swaps are more involved and require a little bit of custom fabrication. It could still end up being cheaper than a "new/rebuilt" SVX tranny because you will pay big $ for one from Subaru or another source. You can get used, low mileage auto and 5sp transmissions from junkyards for $400-800, and rear differentials from $100 - 300.

*SVX final drive = 3.545:1. Legacy L 2.2 or Impreza 2.2 auto final drive = 4.11:1. Outback, Forester and Impreza 2.5RS auto final drive = 4.444:1. The larger the number, the lower the gearing. The lower the gearing, the quicker your car will be from a start, but the more it will eat gas, the more it will rev on the highway, etc. svxfiles, one of the OG members here, has tons of experience with these swaps and has helped me quite a bit.

Search for things like "transmission swap" and you'll come up with some good info.

Also, your sig line is a little cheezy for the crowd here. Sorry, but I had to say it.