View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Registered SVX
Re: svx sounds diesel

I just tried to listen very carefully mine. With an engineers stethoscope and w/o. Then did the same for the 2006 3.0R Outback. What a difference.

The 3.0R is silky smooth - there's not much anything but a constant whizz even with the stethoscope.... by far the loudest part is the power steering pump.

The EG33 sounds "harsh", not "wrong" to the ear - I can hear the individual injectors tick and some general rumble. With the stethoscope there's a whole cacophony of mechanical clicketi-clack... slight in the head castings, some more from the block... by far the loudest at the cylinder #6 (drivers side, rear) - right where the piston/cylinder is - a bit less at the block split joint. Very, very different from the EZ30R.

I need to replace my head gaskets and I am trying to decide whether to do the rod bearings while engine is out. Removing the pistons is a PITA and splitting the casings does expand the project quite a bit. 130kmiles, 5PSI turbo charged.

I have ever heard only one other SVX engine running and it did appear to run smoother on idle. Didn't pay much attention, though.

theflystyle: There are two different type sounds in yours... like a diesel injector/combustion sound - and then a single much lower knock - big end, burned valve?

Did you have your AC compressor running in the video?

Hmmm.....

Tapani

Last edited by Tapani; 04-30-2013 at 12:30 PM.