Thread: svx and snow
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 AM

Registered SVX
Re: svx and snow

I drove a 1992 SVX auto for 17 years. Terrific in snow. At the same time I had a 1991 5 speed Turbo Sport Sedan. also great in snow. Biggest difference I saw, was if u got stuck it was harder to get it out. The clutch takes a beating. Going out on a limb here because I may get flamed again. The Auto and the Manual operate the AWD differently. The auto is more electronic and the manual is more Machanical . Reaction time is slower on the 5 speed. If u watch the Auto at work on a slippery surface u barely see a wheel do a full turn before another takes over. With the standard this is not the case. Shifting from on wheel to the other is a bit slower. This has been my observation. I have not had a lot of snow time with the SVX with the 5 speed. The little I have had is still quite impressive. You also loose the ability to take off in 2. You can take off in 2nd gear with the 5 speed, but the clutch will take the beating. Also some of the problem is the auto is changing gears all the time and with the 5 speed you are driving and can't shift gears as quickly.