View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
The ECU often cuts fuel during decelleration. It does this with the automatic transmission and it isn't prepared for there to be a manual box there instead of an automatic. This is why you have to send the neutral signal to the ecu when you press in the clutch. If the ecu cuts fuel during decelleration while you are in gear the car will not stall because the drivetrain continues to spin the engine. If the ecu cuts fuel while you have the clutch pushed in or while you are coasting in neutral the engine will instantly stall.

Everyone can debate what they think is happening based on their experiences forever and a day but what I am telling you is a fact not a debatable point. If you want to fix your stall problem you need to start with wiring your ecu correctly. If you still have a stall problem after your ecu is wired correctly then take the next step and put in a dash pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
So, if the ECU thinks the phantom 4EAT is in D, it will cut all fuel when the throttle is completely closed. If it thinks it is in neutral, it won't. So, if the scenario for, stalling is push in the clutch, change gears, but do not immediately let out the clutch, because you're busy turning, then you would get a stall if the ECU thought you were in D, because it would shut off all fuel when the throttle closed. If it thinks you are in neutral when you push down the clutch, it will see the elevated rpm's that you had when you pushed down the clutch, and will try mightily to get those down to idle, because the throttle is closed. If it tries too hard, by cutting fuel the car will stall. So, it seems whether the ECU thinks the car is in D or N, we will have a stallling situation. Practically, since this period of delayed clutch re-engagement is typically in the range of a couple of seconds, mechanically delaying full throttle closure would solve it, at least for me, with my driving habits.