View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 11:05 AM

Silver Trim Rings

Believe it or not, the rings are model paint. I'm using a $3.00 Testors silver paint marker.

I've looked for different pre-made bezels, but they're either the wrong size (ID & OD) or too darn thick. Since I have a spare dash, I started playing around with different paints and brushes and then found the paint marker. The size of the marker (both tip and barrel) gives me better control than a brush. You have to be patient and have a very still hand so this is not a mod to try after a couple of Starbucks or tequila shots.

I've tied to imagine every possibility of masking the dash, but the compound curves and tight spaces preclude me from such fanciful thoughts. The openings in the dash for the guages do have a nice radius that actuall helps the paint line stay pretty straight with no masking. Also, I figure if I slip up, I can always use an exacto knife blade to clean up (scrape off) any paint that strays from the proper ring appearance. I'll post the finished product and some of the steps along the way when I'm finished.