View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Carfax report

Is this last info from a NJ inspection station? Could be or could be an auction.

Is carfax ever wrong? Carfax sucks. They just enter data and keep it under the vin. They do nothing to verify the miles just enter it so that if and when there are errors you must submit the corrections to them otherwise it'll be in there forever. Same thing with Autocheck, etc. Great service but a lot of cars get labled as bad.

Can a digital odometer be rolled back? Technically no but I supose anything is possible. Most of the time they are simply disconnected and then reconnected. I even had a lease turn in 911 that the leasee had installed a toggle switch to turn on and off his odo. Stupid guy didn't take it off before turning in the car. He's now paying a good $20k to solve his error.

Check the door jamb of the van to see if the odo had been replaced. I would favor that or would think somehow the 1st digit isn't lighting up and the vehicle has 146k on it. Chrysler Sebrings seem to alway have this problem but on them the entire light goes out. This might have more than 1 backlight.

Good news is you should be able to get it real cheap. Bad news is do you want it? Personally once a car reaches a certain age I go totally by its condition and maint records. If its been a well cared for 146k that's better than a not well cared for 50k. That said you would need to adjust any price you offer them by 25-40% off book for an odo discrep.