View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Registered SVX
Re: No engine braking in 3rd gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
To tell what the trouble is, you have to see if there is engine braking in 2nd gear. If there is no engine braking in 2nd, and no code for solenoid 3, it is a mechanical failure in the box. If it does brake in 2nd, then it can be a few other things.

I do have engine braking in 1st and 2nd gear.

The over-run clutch is controlled primarily by the Shift solenoid 3. in 1.2.3, gears. 3rd is treated differently to the rest, as the clutch cannot be engaged when the box is driving, or it will lock-up.
In third the solenoid is on but the engagement is controlled by a shuttle valve that uses the drop in line pressure, to tell if the throttle is closed, to apply the over-run clutch.

The symptoms that you say, "then after a second or two hits 3rd gear and then neutral until the car slows. ", seems to be the way it shows up, and can be caused by;
1.Throttle position sensor.
2. Dropping resistor, too high in resistance.
3. If the line pressure regulation spring has been increased to raise the line pressure. ( Level 10 may have done this)

The resistor tests in at 12.1-11.9 ohms

I guess I will check the TPS voltage and then look at getting a line pressure test. I don;t think there are any serious problems with the box its just an annoyance that i hope doesn't create a problem.

Harvey.
Thanks for your input. I just wanted to add that yesterday when it was super cold out I had engine braking in 3rd gear for the entirety of about an 8 mile run. But yesterday when it was just as cold and I went for a longer drive I didn'y have 3rd gear breaking.