Thread: The SVX and you
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 05:57 PM

Re: The SVX and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
It's time I pitched in, I guess. I bought my car on the low and was very happy. I had actually intended to spend a lot more. Since I got it for the same price as a 4-5 years old Yaris, half the price of an equivalent 300ZX etc, I gladly spend money on refurbishing the actually quite nice specimen I got.

I've had my car since march and I've done 10.000 Km in it so far, 3 months exactly. I'm getting fonder and fonder of it (except the 4EAT). I feel more secure in this car every day. While "underpowered", it's usually twice the performance car than 99% of what's driving around you. I recently pulled it into 170km/h, totally without effort or any sense of insecurity. It gives feedback, it brakes well, it's comfortable, it's a design object on wheels and generally a most off beat car that should make any owner feel special. It's a proper driver's car that also passengers enjoy and as a Subaru it doesn't need to change clutch once a year and oil every 5.000 km.

I already upgraded the brakes, had the alus refurbished, shoed it properly and changed hubs and bearings in the rear. Suspension and body restoration is coming closer and later this year the belt will be swapped (it's 5 yrs old now) which is also a good excuse to do a proper tune up and general engine overhaul (Will also coincide with 150.000 km service).

Yes, it costs money and gas is over $2 per litre here but, wow do I enjoy my car in every possible way. There's the real value.

Change to a better oil. Ever since I bought my 92' in 2000 I've only used Amsoil ATF and it shifts like a pro ice skater..smooth as glass, strong like an Ox.
To add, the factory Dexron oil is not a good consistency for our 4EATs. It overheats the wide band and breaks down the oil quite fast (about 6 months -much faster tranny wear and friction) whereas with Amsoil it keeps the large overdrive band within temperature operating spec.
Just a note..this is just for the AT transmission and manual differentials. Amsoil engine oil is really no better oil than Redline or Castrol (I tried the regular Amsoil engine oil for 2years but (my fav) Valvoline performed better in my 92' SVX.
I did have a FANTASTIC experience with the Amsoil 0 Weight (yes, it's really a zero friction oil) engine oil in my XT-6 ...but it was only 9.00 per bottle in 1999....now it's around $25.00 a quart

It is freaking great oil though. Once I fix all my oil leaks on this engine I'm ordering it.

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 06-03-2018 at 06:06 PM.