View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM

Maybe.

To answer the above question- there's two parts to working with a factory ecu. First is having the necessary hardware to actually make changes, so for example on older ecus installing a socket, etc. Second, and just as important, is knowing how the ecu software functions and what to change to get the desired results. What I would provide is an elegant solution to the first problem. To be able to actually use it to tune your car you need people b3lha to actually dig into the ecu code, figure out how stuff works, test it on cars, etc. Not owning an SVX, thats not something I can provide.

Let me describe in little more detail what the 'Realtime' boards do. They're conceptually pretty simple. Basically, imagine an ecu with a USB cable coming out of its butt. You connect to your laptops USB port and get two new virtual serial ports added. One is a standard diagnostic port (SSM in this case), and functions just like you were using a regular SSM adapter. The second port is to the emulator. The two ports are totally independent btw. Here's how the emulator works- when you install a basic ROM daughterboard in your ecu, the ecu is setup to run its program from your ROM chips on the daughterboard. Well, the Realtime works the same way, but instead of having ROM chips its got a very special battery-backed RAM. Here's the cool part. This memory space is accessible not only by the ecu, but also by the microcontroller on the Realtime. Both sides of the memory can read or write (ok, so the ecu never writes to it) to the memory space totally independently, with no affect to the other. They never even know the other side exists. Very slick. What this means is you can change anything in the ecu data realtime, as the car is running. Want to change your fuel map? No problem. Change your timing map? No problem (assuming you know what to change of course, lol). No turning the car off, just make your changes and go. Fun fun fun.

This does nothing for additional computers like the tranny computer, etc. You can still talk to them via the diagnostic connection, but you would need a different hardware solution to make changes to them. I've never really worked with a vehicle that isn't a good old fashioned stick shift, so I've never had that problem before.

So a couple of questions I always get asked-

Can I upload my program to the ecu before I install it in the car? Yes, the daughterboard powers up from the USB, so you can upload your program before you install it in the car.

How long does the battery last? The Realtime uses a 3.6V lithium AA-size battery, and only switches to battery when it doesn't have power. When its installed in the car it uses the car's battery, and never actually uses the lithium battery (you know your ecu never actually completely turns off when you turn the key off, right?). If you left the ecu sitting on a shelf battery lifetime would be about 10 years. Installed in a car, it will be until the lithium self discharges. Probably best to replace it every 10 years.

Can I use a Mac? Linux? The FTDI usb chipset has drivers for Max and Linux. Having software on your Mac or Linux box is up to you. The emulator protocol is documented here, so if your that type of person feel free to write your own code-

http://www.calumsult.com/calumsu/Pro...mand%20Set.pdf

On the PC side, you can actually use EmUtility to turn any ROM editing software into 'realtime' editing. Just switch EmUtility into emualtion mode, and when ever you save your bin it will automatically upload the changes. I just use TunerProRT, but to each his own. You can download the version of EmUtility that works best with the Realtime here-

http://www.calumsult.com/calumsu/random/EmUtility.zip

So thats a big boring post about the Realtime.

If you guys really think there are people interested, here's what I would need.

First, I don't sell anything until I've actually got something to sell. No deposits, etc, I just hate doing that.

Second, I need to buy a SVX ecu, wiring harness, and I'd like a tranny ecu too. As uncut as possible, but really just as long as its at least got the bit that plugs into the ecu is good. I figure you guys are better at finding sources for this than I would be; SVXs just aren't that common in junkyards. I'd also prefer to get an ecu that is typically hard to get a good SSM connection to (91 or whatever).

Third, I'd really like to build a bench simulator, which means spending some time with a real car. I'm in West TX.

Fourth, I don't know how this works, but I'd want to rent a section on this forum. Thats the easiest way for me to provide support, and since I market primarily to forum members I don't have a problem putting money back into the forum. I've got sub-sections on three forums now and love it.

Fifth, I'd like a user in the US as a dedicated beta tester. Only the US for shipping reasons. I have no problems shipping outside the US, but its just slow sometimes. This would have to be a 100% immaculate car, preferably stock, or mild modifications.