View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by TorG0d
So I'm doing a little checklist of things I need to do before the tranny comes down. Here's what I have so far:

1. Exhaust needs to be dropped
2. Crossmembers need to be dropped
3. Axles need to come out
4. Looks like the steering rack needs to come out as well so the front of the tranny doesn't fall on it.

You don't have to remove the steering rack to drop the trans.

Drain the trans fluid. You do need to remove the driveshaft from the car. When you pull it from the trans, it will spill a lot of fluid unless you have drained the fluid first.

Other things to remove/disconnect are:
-Wiring harnesses (should be two)
-Snorkus to throttle body (you'll see why below)
-Flexplate to torque converter bolts (4) accessible from the hole underneath the throttle body on top of the engine as well as below. I typically place a breaker bar with a 22mm socket on the crank bolt, and after I've removed one of the flexplate bolts, rotate the engine via the breaker bar until the next bolt comes around to you for removal.
-Starter plus the other 6 bolts/nuts holding the trans in place. The bottom two fasteners are nuts on threaded studs in the engine block halves. These are a %$@#*&^ to get the transmission off of as it has to slide back about 2 inches to clear the end of the studs.
-Pitch stop mount from underneath the throttle body
-Shifter mechanism from trans (I think....)
-Performance bar (rod underneath the front diff)
-Trans mount to body
-Trans cooler lines

Support the front of the engine before you remove the transmission to keep it from tipping forward, damaging the fans and possible the radiator!

This beast is heavy (230 lbs or so) and is difficult to maneuver. I've done it a couple of times now on a concrete floor with a trans jack. I wouldn't want to try it on a gravel driveway.

Good luck,
Todd