Thread: Resonator
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX
Re: Resinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Bonestock, I apologize if my post, #60 sounded harsh.
I had actually rephrased it and was waiting on Lady Di to approve it when the computer crashed.

Perhaps you noticed the "John" mentioned in the post.
He is a very well known and respected member here.
(As are Harvey and Trevor)
He swears that his son's SVX had lost power after the removal of the resonator and he, John is well noted for his excessiveness, and attention to detail.
And he has two SVXi to compare.
He is not the only SVX customer to tell me this, but untill I have hard #s, I can only report this as what I have heard.

On one of my SVX, (my Heavily modified Claret) the current exhaust is one that has no cats, and five resonators.

My personal definition of a resonator is a sound deadening device with a perforated center tube, surounded with a sound deadening material, with no obstructions to the flow of air.
A muffler is a sound deadening device with baffles, or parabolic chambers, or anything to divert/disrupt the flow of air in a chamber.
Anything that protrudes into the air stream, scalloped vanes, diverter plates, ect., to me constitutes a muffler.

On another note, usually the members on this Network gets along quite well.
We have very few personal attacks that are so common on other internet based networks.
Nah I didn't take it as harsh. From our conversation a while back I know you know what you are talking about. As to the car in question we don't have any quantifiable data. The ol' butt dyno aint that sensitive.

If it is true that a minor change in the exhaust system made the car run poorly then there is something amiss elsewhere. Coincidence? Bad gas? Its impossible to know.

I don't know where this BS story of "if you remove something in the exhaust you need to replace it with something of equal shape and volume" got started but what a load of rubbish!