Thread: New Subaru SVX?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2001, 05:26 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Visionary, Larry, must admit if a new SVX is coming, it would make sense to move the game upmarket.
Not sure about the H8, they should be able to extract "enough" power [another oxymoron] from a forced induction 3 litre or 3.3 litre flat 6 without going to the expense of tooling up for a new engine design.

Also, I would expect them to move in the "greener" direction, after all they are currently pulling very usable horsepower, and torque, from 2 litre and 2.2 litre engines. The move to smaller capacity with the current H6 underlines this trend for smaller and more efficient.
Build would be lighter, big use of aluminium suspension components a la BMW, and more use of aluminium, possibly composite panels as you suggest.

They will not use fake carbon fibre dashboard panels, this is like ballet shoes on an elephant. You want a stripped out racer, buy a Lotus Elise. In racing, everything is sacrificed to lose weight and gain horsepower. In a GT car, there are no sacrifices. You cannot tour in the Grande fashion, and make sacrifices or compromises. It may be a year or two before we see one, even as a design exercise or taster. Witness the interest in the WRX. Selling cars is a business. Give the punter what he wants, it's a win win situation. I will be minding my car. It could be a long wait.
Joe