View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
lee, I'll have to grab that letter again. According to it, which was from the Washington Post I believe, his number, 336 I think, was called. ...snip....
Mr Clinton was on a college deferment when he left the US as a Rhodes Scholar, which program he did not complete. Admittedly, he sent a letter of intent to join the ROTC, then failed to follow through on that. He entered the draft lottery system and got a high number (you use 336, which I believe is correct). That number was not called (BTW, I had 318 that same year and was not called - I later enlisted in the Air Force, served in the Security Forces, and was honorably discharged in 1976).

Mr Carter signed a pardon for all who fled the US to avoid the draft. However, Mr Clinton did not need a pardon since he was first on an educational deferment, and subsequently entered the draft lottery on return to US soil.

All that aside, I'm with Mr Pockets to the extent that none of the candidates represents who I would like to see in office. Both sides are deeply in debt to their own special interests, hundreds of millions of dollars aren't spent by corporations, independent millionaires, unions, environmentalists, etc for nothing - Republican or Democrat - IMHO the main difference is which camp gets fatter and which one goes on a diet - the middle class (to which I think I belong) foots the bill.