View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Who's Racing Their SVX?

Harry

The only issue with going back to 16 inch rims is the EXTREMELY limited selection of tire widths. I have not been able to find any of the current crop of 200 TW tires in a 16 inch size that are wider than 235 (!). Now, you go to R-Comps and the gloves come off ;-)

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post
I would suggest HANKOOK Rs 3's for tires Seems like I paid less than $150, and I'll be getting into my second autocross season with them this year.

Also, I would go back to the 16 inch rims.... if not the stock rims (which I ran with my '92 SVX) a wider aftermarket 16 incher The 17's have the effect of gearing the car "higher", thereby sowing your acceleration. The 17's are much better for the track. Be sure to also check out the tread wear index on the tire - most organizations (like SCCA and NASA) are now limiting the tire wear index to 140 if you are to remain in the stock class - the HANKOOK's mentioned above are 200 and stick really well.

Also, another point to consider is that when you mention you can feel your tires "rolling over" ... that means you need MORE AIR in them. More air will insure the contact patch is at the max. Put some chalk marks on the tire close to the tread to see exactly how much the tires are rolling.

As for brakes, I never had problems with the SVX brakes. If one engaging the antilock brake system, then you need more tire rather than more brake - I use EBC pads and they work great. Be sure to upgrade to at least DOT 4 brake fluid too ..
Hope this helps. I sold my '92 SVX that I autocrossed a bit over a year ago when I found a Porsche 924S with VERY low mileage on it, but I still have my '97 SVX - only 82K miles on it ......

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker