View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 09:17 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX
Re: Who's Racing Their SVX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post
I would suggest HANKOOK Rs 3's for tires Seems like I paid less than $150, and I'll be getting into my second autocross season with them this year.

Also, I would go back to the 16 inch rims.... if not the stock rims (which I ran with my '92 SVX) a wider aftermarket 16 incher The 17's have the effect of gearing the car "higher", thereby sowing your acceleration. The 17's are much better for the track.

Also, another point to consider is that when you mention you can feel your tires "rolling over" ... that means you need MORE AIR in them.

As for brakes, I never had problems with the SVX brakes. If one engaging the antilock brake system, then you need more tire rather than more brake - I use EBC pads and they work great. Be sure to upgrade to at least DOT 4 brake fluid too ..
I have looked into the wide variety of tires available and it is hard to make a decision. I do, however, agree with the Hankook RS3 being one of, if not the best contender in the Sub $150, 200+UTQG category. Thanks for the input!

Wheels will be staying 17's, I already have 2 sets of wheels and the other half would kick me out if I buy yet ANOTHER set. I have 4.44's so hopefully that balances out the acceleration.

I read into "rolling sidewalls" and I will be testing out higher pressures. This last event I ran 38psi fronts and 32psi rears to help the rear end rotate. I will bump up the fronts to 40 for the next event.

The ABS did kick in a couple of times at each of the past events, which is why I started looking into tires. I'm already running DOT 4 fluid, SS brake lines, Red EBC pads and slotted/cross drilled rotors.
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker