View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 12:18 PM

A battery can read ? when fully charged??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue thunder
I'm having the same issue as Idaho biker girl a few posts back. Two nights ago i got in my car to go home and noticed the illumination light on the dash seemed weaker than usual. I drove home with no problem. Today on the way to work the dash lights came on and stayed intermittently. I tried a test someone said to try. I started the car and then disconnected the negative battery cable and the engine stalled immediately. I was told this means the alternator is bad. Then I drove home tonight with the dash lights coming on and off the whole way. I then got my multimeter and checked the voltage and it read around 12 amps non-running which means the battery is fully charged right? Could my alternator be flaking out and still be charging my battery? I have one ordered for thurs. although I haven't paid yet. Any advice or experience appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
A battery will read 12 volts when fully charged. When working properly, it will have the cranking power it was designed to have. It can also read 12 volts when it is not fully charged because of the construction of the battery cells. under a load it will not read 12 volts when it is not fully charged, again because of the construction of the cells in the battery.In reality the best way to check out this intermittent problem is with a volt meter. When the goofy red lites all come on, open the hood with the motor running, of course and check the voltage at the battery terminals. you should get 12 volts. if you are lucky enough to have all those red lites go off while you are driving, stop the car, but leave the motor running. raise the hood and check the voltage at your battery terminals. You will see about 14 volts which is the output of the alternator at this time. Congrats! you have found the problem. Since all the voltage and regulator controls are in the alternator itself, the alternator has to be replaced! Why?? because you want the alternator to work all the time not just intermittently. It is on the way out and will not work at all soon! You can also trust some of us that have gone through this and just replace the alternator to start with, but it is a bunch of fun to work it out yourself!
Good luck with your SVX. (Don't we just love these cars!!!!)
Keith (77 year old shade tree mechanic)