View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking Earl (Ensteel)...amateur car collector.

Ha, ha....just sorta' kidding old buddy. However.......

From the front page of our bastion of printed liberalism, the Baltimore Sun, comes the following amazing story that I'll paraphrase.

Leonard McGrady of Aberdeen, MD has 80.....EIGHTY!
Nash Healys in a barn on his estate. (What'n hay-ill's a Nash Healy you of lesser years may ask). It was a collaboration in the early 50s between Nash Motors (USA) & Healy Motor Co. (UK) to build a competitive racer for the European circuit. One actually placed forth at LeMans amongst Ferraris, Benzes & other exotica.
Nash later hired Pinin Farina to design a two-seater body as a promotional toy to lure droolers to Nash showrooms. (Sound familiar?). This toy had a price tag of around $6,000 (about half a mil in today's flimsy bucks), & could be considered the first true "modern" American sports car, unless "Mad Man" Muntz's "Jet" somehow qualifys.
Anyway, Mr. McGrady has traveled the earth for around 35 years to satisfy his obsession. Only 604 of these cars were built, & by my loose calculations, he has around 16% of them. To equal this percentage, Earl will have to purchase around 4,790 more SVXen to claim the record.
Get busy, Earl.

Ron (No, Earl - mine's NOT for sale).

PS - One of Mr. McGrady's babys, a mint silver one now worth $100,000, will be featured on a new postage stamp to be issued August 20.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.