Thread: MAF dead spot?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

ECU/TCU relearn periods

Sorry, this is probably another daft newbie question. Not even sure how to phrase it, so hopefully this will make sense. How much would the TCU/ECU relearn time affect any fix tried? e.g. It did take a bit of time after my trans brake band was adjusted for shifts to settle down.

Mine has been to a few shops lately and the battery in and out like a yo-yo and I don't know if she's had enough time in between any of them to do a complete relearn. It isn't that I think its the sole issue for me or anyone else, but I am wondering if it could have implications.

So how long does it really take? Is it possible that a fix that doesn't seem to have worked, really could be the right one, if enough relearn time is given? How could you tell the difference? Is there a difference if parts are replaced vs. a simple service? I'm confused. Again!?!
(The quote below is from the online CD - page and doc link)

Quote:
When vehicle battery is disconnected, this memory is lost. The computer will use default data until new data from each key start is stored. As computer memorizes vehicle operation for each new key start, driveability is restored. Vehicle computers may memorize vehicles operation patterns for 40 or more key starts.

Customers often complain of driveability problems during relearn stage because vehicle acts differently then before being serviced. Depending on type and make of vehicle and how it is equipped, the following complaints (driveability problems) may exist:
* Harsh Or Poor Shift Quality
* Rough Or Unstable Idle
* Hesitation Or Stumble
* Rich Or Lean Running
* Poor Fuel Mileage

http://serial.cc/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf COMPUTER_RELEARN_PROCEDURES.pdf (43.9 KB, 132 views)

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!