View Single Post
Old 12-02-2002, 02:27 PM
alacrity024

for the record, I never EVER said: "I don't signal because I feel like it's too much work to take my hands off the wheel." No. I really didn't say that. Ever. Not even once. Nope.

What I did say (copying-and-pasting from my initial post here) was "I hate taking my hands off the wheel." NOT "Taking my hands off the wheel is too much work for me."

In case you'd like to know, the reason I hate taking my hands off the wheel is because I think it's more dangerous than failing to signal. If I'm weaving through traffic, you can bet your ass that my hands are LOCKED on the wheel at 10 and 2. Now I know what you're going to ask: "What about changing cd's and stuff like that??"

Well, when I take my hands off the wheel to change the track on my cd (when driving aggressively I always turn music OFF) or adjust the climate control or see what the temperature is, I'm not going fast enough that I'm going to need to change lanes. In fact, it is very rare that I have an oppurtunity to be in a position to even have a CHOICE of lanes.. out here in NH our highways are primarily single-lane winding roads which is great if you've got a miata and pocketful of money with noplace to be, but sucks a pair of nuts if you're in a hurry. Can't do a THING to get by traffic unless you feel like getting "Fast and Furious."

If I'm driving on these one-laners (which actually works out to about 90% of the driving time in my life. The only time I get to see more than one lane is when I'm taking a trip to Boston or to visit my girlfriend in college.. and even then, 101 is only two-lanes for a stretch of about 20 miles between manchester and durham. Ask Boone), I'll usually only have one and a half hands on the wheel, but I'll be attentive, and if I'm going to be coming to a near-stop to make a right or left hand turn, I'll signal. Hell, I'll even put my turn signal on if I'm in a turn-only lane at the stoplight (yes, there's only one of them here in NH).

Anyway, my reason for NOT signaling is actually the same as your reason for signaling religiously.. so don't you think that instead of something to argue about, we've actually got something in common?

-adam