View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Imagine...

Power Steering Issue

Just completed 5 speed swap and Koni/GC mod, rebuilt engine, wheel bearings, new seals on everything, ECU Stage1V5, custom exhaust and much more and have an issue with the power steering. Got the car in pieces and took me over a year to rebuild it.

Cranked it and power steering grinding and making all kinds of noise. Got a new Power Steering pump and installed. Now no grinding noise but when I shut the engine off power steering fluid sprays out from under the cap and goes everywhere. Next I changed the O-ring under the resevoir again, torqued everything down to spec, flushed the lines, replaced a hard line that was dented underneath, put dextron ATF fluid in and ensured levels were correct went turn to turn on the steering several times back and forth and all seemed good.

Next took it for a test drive and stopped, engine idled down to under 1000rpm and steering locked, could not move the wheel. Bring the car up to about 2000 RPM and it works again. Shut the car off and it does not spray fluid out but oozes out under the cap.

So the issue is what causes the power steering to lock everytime I let engine idle and then starts working again when I increase RPM and why is the fluid still ooozing out from under the cap?