View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: Well, I made it...work!

Installed my new TPS today! Turns out, there's only so much an adjustment can do for a bad unit, my car runs great now. Thanks to everyone here especially svx_commuter, and Trevor R. Sheffield for their writeups found in the How To Docs. That really is an invaluable resource. This forum is a bastion of information on an otherwise very obscure car. Now I hear that one of the foremost SVX scholars is headed to LA? This is without doubt grounds for a "Tom's in LA Mini-Meet."

Found some interesting stuff in replacing the TPS, that some here may find useful. Turns out it does have a lot to do with the AWD system as well as the trani. I mentioned before thinking that my rear-diff bushings went bad suddenly in conjunction with the TPS slipping out again: Well, the clunking and slowing in turns is gone with the new TPS installed. It used to feel a lot like my Full Time 4WD XT when she was about to break another CV joint. Now my SVX accelerates from stop with the wheel locked in turn with nary a shuffle. Bringing the total of symptoms cured to:

1. Hard shifting from 1st to 2nd, often at unusually high RPM for the amount of gas applied.
2. Downshifting frequently during hwy cruzing (45-75mph). Problem not apparent when pushing throttle harder.
3. Slowing in tight turns, even coming to a stop at idle in hard turns such as parking. Lurching feeling to car at low speeds at hard turn.
4. Stutter when accelerating to about 15mph from stop, especially while turning (making right turns in intersections was worst).

My car feels better than ever. Now if only they'd get around to shipping my HID's I'd be thrilled (that's a one eyed smiley). Good call on the TPS folks, and thanks again.

-Kit W.