View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Re: Finally some progress...

Triumph,
Thanks for the detailed info. A majority of that is stuff that I've become familiar with during this project. Sounds like I should use 600 grit, though. I was under the impression that 400 was enough.

Concerning the sandpaper, it wasn't gumming up, it was just getting clogged with the residue. The residue was a dry powder, though...no issues with hardener.

I used a 1.8tip for primer per the product info sheet. When I've sprayed before I've used a 1.3mm for color and clear. I have a 1.5 though. Which is better and why? Already have the oil/water separator. Don't have a pressure regulator for the gun...I'll pick one up.

One thing I did get that helped a bit with pressure was the high flow fittings. I was able to go longer before the compressor would have to fire back on. A nice little bonus, but not necessary for a good job.

I've been cleaning before spraying with a proper degreaser throughout the project. That is always followed by tack cloth immediately before painting. Adhesion has been great so far.

Thanks for the gun setup info. That should come in really helpful. I'm plannign to get a test piece soon, so I'll try that setup on a test panel.

Also, I'm going to try to locate a downdraft booth not only for the spray fog, but also becuase it'll be cleaner than my garage. Despite a pretty thorough pre-cleaning of my garage, a few particles still settled into the primer. I don't want that on the final spray, so I'm going to try to find a booth to use. I have 2 leads right now (friend's dad's shop, friend of a friend), so hopefully one can let me use it on a weekend.

Still not sure on single stg vs. bc/cc. I realize the 1 stg. is smarter because of application and repair. Actually, 1 stage frequently looks better, too, in flat applications. I had just planned on the base/clear for durability/longevity/quality. While I know I couldn't get a glass smooth flat clear application, I thought I could do an adequate job. The flatness of the finish hid most of the orange peel appearance on the practice panel i did a few months back.

I'd love to hear some more input. Thanks for the help!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me