View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 AM

Re: Finally some progress...

I am painting my SVX satin black also...
ill give you some quick tips.

If your sand paper gummed up when you wet sanded that means the primer was not dry...did you mix in enough hardener?

grit 600+ wont leave marks under the base coat.

The stripes on the sealer would be covered by the base coat however, most sealers require that you apply the base coat within 1-2 hours otherwise you have to sand again.

I am guessing you have a gravity feed spray gun hopefully not a totally cheap one. You need an extra pressure regulator with a gauge mounted to the gun so you can dial in the correct pressure. The tip of the gun is also important, I use a 1.7 mil for primers and a 1.5mil for base and clear. You also need water/oil filter separator mounted to the air inlet on the gun. They cost $10 and look like orange plastic balls.

To get the gun to spray correctly get some cardboard. Fill the gun with lacquer thinner. Adjust the fan so that you get a straight line wet spot when you spray the cardboard...not a hourglass and not a round or oval.

Also adjust the air pressure on the dial. The air pressure is read when you press the triger halfway so that youre blowing air but no paint. Every gun is a lil different. With my sata i use 40psi for clear...but for a cheaper gun try around 30psi. As for the paint feed dial, open it less for base and more for clear.

You will need a small plastic filter for the paint cup on the gun and large filters when you pour the paint in the gun...you dont want any particles in the paint at all.

Most important: clean with proper Degreaser after you sand and wash with water. Use damp paper ShopTowel's the blue ones.

Once you finish spraying the sealer use TacCloths to get the dust off after each coat of base dries and right before you clear.

Lastly...clear coat is incredibly hard to lay smooth when doing a whole car...what makes it even harder is the fact that you dont have a down draft spray both..this will cause all the clear coat fog in the air to precipitate down and make it impossible to get a smooth finish. Usually you would wet sand the clear with 1500grit and buff it with compound and a buffer with a foam pad but because this is a flat finish you cant do that.

Flat crear coat finishes are tough even for expert bodyshops...i would not even try it without a booth, and Ive been painting for years.

I will be using SEM HR010 HOT ROD BLACK PAINT on my car because it will be alot easier to get a quality finish and touch up later.

It is a one stage urethane and has uv shield built in...unlike other one stage paints which are enamels and fade this one should last alot longer.

Hope this helps...let me know if you have more questions

Last edited by triumph1902; 10-07-2008 at 12:15 AM.