Thread: 50 vs 45
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Don't take this a nitpicking, it is a very legitimate question. How is a taller tire "harder" on our transmissions? I don't claim to be a super mechanic, but the logic or mechanical apects of this escape me.

I suppose more tire/wheel weight could require more transmission effort, but I don't see how size alone can unless the rotation of the portion of the tire further out on the radius causes the problem. If it is the weight, then we have not been addressing this issue in ALL wheel tire mods.

Anyway I would like to hear some experts opinions on this theory.

Lee
The transmission distributes the available unaltered engine power/torque regardless of wheel size. The wheel size in affect fixes, sets or alters, the absolute final drive ratio, with no alteration in respect of the forces transmitted via the transmission.

The only aspect for consideration is a possible change in the ratios selected for a particular duty or circumstance. This aspect would involve marginal tolerances, which are beyond consideration. What is more there is also the operation of the torque converter to consider, as this "smoothes" the application of power in all gears.

It can not be truly conceived that larger diameter tyres (within reason that is), will be "harder" on the transmission. In point of fact on a long run, the wear factor will be reduced as a result of a taller effective overall ratio.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-11-2007 at 05:48 PM.