Thread: Makes me ill
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 08:05 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
While I can't say that the sight makes me ill, or even angry, since it's not my flag, I still understand why it would incense others, such as yourselves.

The protesters are not making a smart move here at all. It is, as has already been pointed out, disrespectful, and that never makes any friends. It's also perhaps, indicative of their true intent. They have no respect for the country they're moving to, no desire to be a part of it, aside from financially. If it's the United States of Mexico they want, perhaps they'd be better off staing in Mexico and fighting for positive change there, since they seem to prefer Mexico and their Mexican identity.

A lot of European countries have had to deal with issues like this in the past. A lot of immigration from the former Soviet states and the middle east, putting vast strain on the infrastructure of the countries, but perhaps, more importantly, the cultural identity of the host nation. Some countires, like Holland, have put in place legislation requiring immigrants to demonstrate integration when they immigrate. This means adopting the culture of their new chosen country. I don't think this is entirely unreasonable. You can still maintain your cultural roots without blowing off the traditions of where you now live.

The Scandinavian countries face this problem in a big way (it threatens their way of life), as does Canada (though here it's not really addressed )
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*