View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 12:21 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I picked up the 240Z last night. Between it and the 280Z I should be able to make one car that I can race. What is it with Datsuns and the driverside floorboards any way? Did they just forget to put them in? I dont think I've ever seen a Z with it still in. Was it optional for all the pre-80's Z car?

I finally got pictures in my locker of the 240Z. It took about a hour of tinkering to get the engine started. I got the engine on the 280Z started too. Sadly the frame on both cars is shot. So I got to good engines for the racer, but no body. I looked into repairing one. I'm looking at about $800 for replacement floorboards and frame rails. If I fix one it'll be the 240. I think I'l yank the engine, tranny and rear axle out of the 280 and scrap the rest.
I hear you about the floorboards in Z’s. I have a ’73 240Z that I imported from Houston, TX that I purchased largely because I knew it still had a floor. First thing I looked at the when I saw the car the first time was whether there was any floor.

I recently acquired a ’83 280ZX Turbo…it was a neighbor’s restoration project that was given up on due to the lack of floor. My GF, a friend and I stripped the 280 last weekend and the body is sitting in the side yard. I’ll grab a couple pictures before I send it to the crusher. Both floorboards are rusted out, the frame rails, spots in the trunk, under the “back seat”…basically everywhere. I don’t know how heavy that car is supposed to be, but my friend and I were able to lift the body up off the engine (after we unbolted the front suspension and set the engine on the ground) and push it out in the yard. It was really kind of sad to dismantle a historic like that but it wasn’t worth saving.

Mike, can you get a better shot of those vents in the hood of the 240Z? I think mine has similar vents, but I was under the impression that they were aftermarket.
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z