View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
just becuase subaru spent a lot of time working on the flow of the headers dosnt mean that its going to be what your looking for in your specific application. You can just write everything off as being perfect. And its not the best idea to go around preaching about something no one has ever tried(or few and never seen)
Just a few years ago a 5speed SVX was written off as "impossible"

phil
then go get some custom headers made. i was going on this, from our own oab_au:

"This motor with the exhaust timing that it uses does not need headers that are different than the ones that are fitted.
There is only one exhaust valve open at a time on each side.
One exhaust pulse cannot enter another cylinder. The cylinders cannot interfere with each other.

The way the system works now is each of the cylinders on one side, uses the header pipe as a tuned pipe for that cylinder, to return the negative pulse to that cylinder. It is as though each cylinder has its own tuned length exhaust pipe, as they take turns to use it.

Fitting a header with long branched pipes, will only increase the volume of the system and reduce the effect of the returning pressure pulse. Instead of it returning back to the compact header to enter the cylinder that produced it, it will be divided between the three pipes. This will reduce the pressure pulse to a third of what it should be, with a reduction in torque.

Harvey."

still want some headers? you can do it just to say you've got custom headers, but the money spent on them and the time to install isn't really worth a potential LOSS in torque. i wish there WERE more things available to increase the performance of the SVX. i'm not a complete nay-sayer, but the cash better be relative to the performance increase. for example, is it worth it to spend more than several times the worth of the car on a turbo system? if it could be done at a reasonable cost, i'd be first in line. the SVX wasn't a mass-produced everyday car, so anyone who makes parts for it are gonna charge accordingly, knowing there aren't going to be too many buyers. simple economics at work.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)