View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lurker
the thing is hardly know much about the car yet. It drives like a dream for a little while and when the check engine light comes on it starts getting sluggish. Not drastically but you can tell.

I've always brought my cars to trusted people who won't try to sell you a service that isn't needed. Too many bad experiences. I just wanted to get input from you guys (and I really appreciate it) before taking it to someone.

Thing is unlike upstate NY there aren't that much Subaru dealers arround and most mechanics don't really know much about it. The dealers service is usually overpriced and like I said , may sell you something your car doesn't need. I tried checking the SVX Shop search , but none in my area.
Your experience with dealers is the rule. Not the exception (not to offend any of our members who work at dealerships and the like).

I mean, if you're getting a CE light and the cause has been identified, the OBVIOUS thing to do is replace the sensor (personally, as you can see, I'd replace both). But, do that first and check your mileage. Cleaning the throttle body is one of the least expensive and best things you can do to keep your mileage up. Cost: a couple of cans of TB or Carb cleaner and 20-30 minutes time. I'd suggest cleaning the TB at every other oil change as a matter of habit.

Good luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI