View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: My New Sound System: Part 1 Custom Sub Enclosures

long overdue update...

Fiberglass resin sucks! hahaha That stuff is sooooo messy and so hard to work with. I put the initial coat on one of them by myself a week or two ago and decided I was gonna wait for some extra hands to be around to do it. It turned out pretty well so far but was definitely a pain, and my advice is:

plan plan plan plan before you start.

I thought I had it planned pretty well, I had a sheet of plastic underneath the enclosures on a table outside all my materials, brush resin hardener container to put some resin in to use with brush to put it on.

One thing I forgot was a solvent. That stuff started to harden on the brush, I don't know If I wasn't supposed to mix the hardener in with the resin on this first coat or what, since I'm using it differently than just putting it on the car, or with the netting but it turned my brush rock solid about half way through coating the enclosure. It's supposed to harden in two hours, but I swear I was only out there for a 15 minutes and my brush was rock hard!

I ended up finishing it and getting the rest of it on just fine, it was just very difficult it kept wanting to pull the fabric from the mdf where it was glued and stapled.

Definitely, this time I will have multiple brushes and a solvent near by because cleaning up or even trying to get away from the project was a mess I ended up getting resin all over my hands after I was trying to clean up, my gloves were so sticky they stuck together and are no longer usable. the brush was nasty and ruined, but thank god for that plastic sheet I laid down. That was a huge help in keeping things from getting all over everything.

but I'm uploading pictures now so you can see what I've done.