View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Besides the info on cupping I found this....

"Some low profile tires (mostly performance tires), tend to develop uneven wear patterns because of their belt and tread design. As the tire rolls along, the deflection and squirming of the tread produces harmonics that cause certain areas of the tread or ribs to wear more than others. The wear pattern can be further compounded by other factors such as toe misalignment, wheel imbalance, wheel runout, underinflation or lack of rotation. After awhile, a "heel and toe" or "washboard" wear pattern may develop that generates annoying noise and vibrations at speeds above 40 mph. Once the wear pattern is established, it's too late to reverse it by rotating the tires. So the only cure you can recommend is to replace the tires and possibly switch to another brand or style that is less "quirky." "

.......and this more in-line with the wear I see on my tires. I think the term "cupping" applies to wear across the entire surface of the tire.

So, I get most of the wear on the side of the tire next to the engine. What way can I adjust the aligment to try for better tread wear? Less camber and more toe in?