View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 01:37 AM

Due to a broken black edge I had to take my left side mirror apart. It is not difficult, but you have to have the courage to lever the mirror glass out of the case with a big screwdriver - it can easily break. Don't worry about the connections to the positioning motor. They come off with the glass.

Once the glass is out, it is easy to take the mirror completely apart and exchange the covers.

The even tougher side is to get the glass back in. I needed to take the white nylon-joint out that holds the glass. Then cut and sand its edges round and make a few cuts in the plastic backside of the mirror glass, so it slips easier on the nylon-joint. Mount the joint back in and press the glass with lots of power back into place. Again, it can break easily.

I guess when they build the mirror, the last step was to glue the mirror glass in place.

The result is a little damage at the edge of the mirror glass which I fixed with a piece of self-adhesive chromium-foil. Not perfect but cheaper than a new mirror. Maybe someday I find a used left side mirror with heating in silver.