View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 01:06 AM

Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
When I say it won't start I mean it does absolutely nothing when I turn the key to start. No turning of the starter, no clicking noise...nothing but silence. That it why I started to suspect the starter interrupt relay. I know I pulled out the wrong relay as it only had three contacts. My car is OBD2 and I think the starter interrupt relay is located way up near where the throttle cable goes into the firewall. It is really hard to see and grab and appears to he held in with a barb-style plastic fastener. A real PITA!

When the damn snow melts and my more flexible sons are home, I will try to trace voltages. My gut tells me to suspect the security module. That has acted up now and then and it controls the starter interrupt relay. When I say it acts up, it sometimes will beep the horn as I am driving down the road for no reason. If I pull over and restart the car, it stops beeping. So it is clearly not well

Is that starter interrupt relay really normally closed? I ask because my wiring diagram shows it as open, implying normally open. Either way, I am of the mindset to remove it and short the appropriate pins. I don't think anyone will be stealing this car.

On the security module, if I replace that, can I reprogram my key fobs to work with it or do I need the key fobs that were programmed for it?
Thanks Tony,

The wiring diagrams (You show your knowledge by not referring to them as schematics) seldom show relay contacts correctly and you are on top of it because many people do not even know what the word "normal" means in respect of an electrical component much less a discussion.

As I understand it when an SVX was supplied without a security system, as a matter of course in order to enable production of a universal wiring loom, a dummy shorting loop and plug was inserted in place of the interrupt relay. My Japanese manufactured SVX had such a plug. Your idea is therefore well founded and you should use this approach before giving any thought towards the security system.

In respect of the security system you have now thrown another potential spanner in the works and also again confirmed the bogie of an intermittent fault. Unfortunately you are drifting even further up a creek and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to hand you a paddle. LOL

Consider each possible cause individually and eliminate each in turn. A scatter gun will get you no where. Stick with a target rifle and first off make absolutely sure that the battery supply is beyond doubt.

Rather than check for voltage at individual points it can often be best to check for voltage drop between points within a supply line. I am sure that you will appreciate how each method has a place in trouble shooting.

The Lord of logic is your friend and he will bring you the best of luck.

Sincerely, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!